Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tuesday Night Supper Club--Frittata

Today we have a guest host for TNSC.  Rose and I met at culinary school.  Given the chance she will tell you I was over prepared (she says I had way too many tools!) and I was focused (her side of the story is that I ignored her and had no idea she had been standing next to me all day). She may be partially right..but in my defense....
never mind..it's not about me....
Rose and I became fast friends and found a common bond at the stove. Although more than a decade my junior, I am continually inspired by her and her many talents.  She is a good friend and a great cook...
here she is:
Hi. My name is Rose and I am a busy mom of 2 boys; 3 if you count my husband.
Christy and I met in culinary school.  All though we have very different lives, one thing we have in common is our love for food, craftiness, and laughter.
I volunteered to guest host the "t-n-s-c", and I hope you all enjoy this recipe and be creative with it in your own kitchen. This is something I make about once every two weeks. It's super easy, kid friendly, and the possibilities are endless on what to throw in.

Fritatta with Ham and Caramelized Onions

Here is what I used
1 medium brown onion
olive oil
2 tsp sugar
7 eggs
3/4 c grated cheese- I used smoked fontina
3 Tb 1/2 & 1/2 (milk, or cream works too)
1/2 c red & yellow bell peppers, diced
1/2 c steamed broccoli florets
ham steak- cubed
fresh parsley
2 cloves minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste

To make it easiest- you need a non-stick pan that is oven safe with a lid. I used a 10" sauté pan with straight sides.
Heat about 1 Tb of olive oil over medium-high heat. Slice up the onion, and toss in the pan- coating well with olive oil. After about a minute, sprinkle sugar over the onions, stir well, and turn heat to low. Let cook for 28 minutes, or until they are nice and caramelized. Remove from pan (don't wash it yet!), and set aside. (I usually can't help but eat 1/2 the bowl-it's like candy)
Preheat oven to 400. In medium bowl, scramble together the eggs and 1/2 & 1/2 until light and fluffy. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in minced parsley and most of the cheese, reserving some for the top. In the same pan used for the onions, heat a little bit of olive oil over medium-high heat, and throw in the ham, veggies and garlic. Let sauté for 4 minutes. Sprinkle in caramelized onions, then pour in egg mixture. Gently stir around until it starts to resemble very, very runny scrambled eggs. Shake the pan to level out the eggs, put on lid, and place in the oven. After 11 minutes, remove lid and sprinkle rest of cheese on top, and cook until cheese is fully melted. Remove from oven, and let sit for 5 minutes before slicing. Or you can turn it out onto a pretty platter if you serve this to company.
What do you think G?

The great thing about fritattas is the versatility- it's great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Go mexican with chorizo, scallions, green chiles, cheddar, and cilantro with avocado and salsa verde on top. Or veggies galore- bell peppers, broccoli, spinach, mushrooms, asparagus, onions, parsley and a smoky gouda. Or Italian with Pancetta, asiago, spinach and Italian parsley with some fresh grape tomatoes on top. I hope that some of you play around with the ingredients. And please let us know if you do!
Thanks Christy for letting me host!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates |